Two Thurrock Regicides (continued)


   
TLHS Home Page

Patrons of the society

TLHS publications

Meetings and events

People and places of interest in Thurrock

Contacts

Sports and leisure

Sir Alexander remarried around 1620, marrying Mary, the widow of John Busbridge of Etchingham in Sussex. As a result he moved from Longhouse Place to Haremere Hall (Sussex), although Longhouse continued as a family residence - one of Sir Alexander's nephews was baptised in Chadwell church in 1623. Sir Alexander's son James also moved to Sussex and married his step sister - the daughter of the second Dame Mary Temple's first marriage. A marriage between children of previous marriages was not unusual and may have been arranged as part of the marriage settlement. After his marriage, James Temple settled in Etchingham where 5 children were baptised between 1629 and 1633 . [3]

John Busbridge's son James was a minor at the time of his father's death, allowing Sir Alexander considerable freedom in dealing with the financial affairs of the Busbridge family. Sir Alexander prospered in Sussex, becoming an active JP for the county. He twice stood for parliament, unsuccessfully in 1624, but in 1625 he was elected an MP.

When Sir Alexander died in 1629, he was buried alongside his first wife in Rochester Cathedral.[4] A monument marked his grave and that of his first wife , but this was destroyed during the Civil War.

At his death, Sir Alexander was heavily in debt. He directed in his will that his property should be sold to pay off his debts and any residual money should go to his son James. Three people - Henry Whalley (a lawyer), Carew Saunders and Robert Aubrey (a merchant) - were given this task. Carew Saunders was Sir Alexander's nephew (his sister's son) while Henry Whalley was the brother in law of Sir Alexander's first wife's daughter by her first husband.

The relationship between the Temples, Whalleys and Cromwells

The Chadwell and Little Thurrock properties were sold to Thomas Ravenscroft. At the time of the sale, the properties were leased back to James Temple and Carew Saunders for ten years. This lease was subsequently assigned to Edward Whalley (brother of Henry Whalley). Edward and Henry were the sons of Richard Whalley of Screveton. James Ravenscroft (son of Thomas) challenged this arrangement in Chancery, alleging that the lease was "fraudulent". Eventually, the lease was allowed to stand, but Edward was prevented from ploughing any of the marshland. I am still researching this case and hope to report more details at a future date.

Previous page previous page                     Next page  Next page

Return to top