Monthly Archives: January 2024

Libraries and Museums

Photo: Glyn Baker (Wikipedia)

The first public library in Thurrock was opened in 1893 and was located in No 1 Bank Buildings, Grays High Street. By 1902 these premises were too small and in 1903 a purpose built library partially funded by Andrew Carnegie was opened on Orsett Road. This included a local history museum. There was also a museum in Civic Square, Tilbury. With the opening of the Thameside Complex in January 1971, the library and Museum moved to their current location.

The council is proposing another move for the library and museum to the Civic Offices. There is a public consultation on the proposed move which can be see here.