Thurrock Local History Society Meeting: 20 September 2024: Tales from Break Away Tours by Jackie Hurley
At our first meeting of the season local businesswoman Jackie Hurley gave us an insight of her experiences of running a holiday company. After working in PR and as a tour guide she retired in 2000 and decided to start up her own business, consisting of days out and holidays by coach. She did her research and always visited the venues, discussed hotel menus, looked at kitchens, size of rooms etc.
She also always went with her holiday makers, sharing their experiences. Her first holiday was to Weymouth. She catered for the over 50s and did such trips as Turkey and Tinsel ‐ a pre Christmas event. At first she roped in friends and neighbours, but word spread and she didn't need to advertise, save for a brochure given to customers.
She travelled the UK and Europe by coach, also visiting the Isle of Man where they met the late Norman Wisdom at his home. He was president of the Isle of Man Men-Cap Society and gave her a mascot teddy bear, which she brought to the meeting.
She told us a few stories of problems, some funny, which she always sorted out. In the 22 years of running the company only three people died on trips, Jackie keeping up her first aid training. There were also various accidents and she said she knows most of the hospitals up and down the country.
In 2001 she decided to take a trip on the Orient Express (The British Pullman), just to Felixstowe. This was followed by several more, including York. In 2003 she chartered a whole train to Dover, leaving from Victoria. All the ladies were given a buttonhole and the group looked like a wedding party. She was the first single tour operator to have chartered the train. Later she took her passengers to Paris and Venice.
She also did cruises, using Saga vessels, and did 24 in all, where they met Captains and had personal attention, with welcome and farewell parties. On one occasion a passenger brought his roller skates for use on board, which he used to use whilst working in the Tesco aisles. She was always telling jokes on her trips and told one at the meeting.
After 22 years in business Jackie had received many awards and certificates, including Woman of the Year. For the late Queen's 60th jubilee the Spirit of Chartwell was being refurbished, like Pullman carriages, and Jackie was asked to look at menus. She also spoke on Essex Radio, answering questions and did a talk at the Port of Tilbury to school leavers.
When Covid struck in 2020 with its travel restrictions, she decided to retire, realising that there was more to life than working. She now enjoys painting etc. and finished her talk with a poem, one of which she penned each day during lockdown.
This was an eye-opener on the perils of running your own business, but also the enjoyment and the making of many friends.
Thurrock Local History Society Meeting: 18 October 2024: What's In The Box ‐ Michelle Savage
Museum curator Michelle Savage gave us a comprehensive talk showing how acquisitions are logged and recorded. It was a look at the museum's collections and how they are being managed. Miichelle works with a team of volunteers, some of them long-standing. Sadly there are no vast display cases and digital display. The gallery only shows a small proportion of the collection, with thousands of objects in store ‐ on the 4th floor, basement and the middle of the museum.
Collections started in the early 1900s. There is a need to know who donated, when and their history, telling a story of Thurrock heritage. Half are donated, half archaeological. The Collections Trust create a standard for collections.
In 2017 Hazel Sacco and Simon Brinkley assisted and there has been a big turnover of staff since the late Jonathan Catton. There is a lot of information in peoples' heads and we need to find out more.
The museum uses accession registers, also cataloguing cards. Accessions are first documented in a logbook, but need to be linked to an object so that queries can be answered and are easily found for displays. Some storage objects are put on display, looking for more information. They are slowly banishing the backlog. Those with no accession number need a unique number and may have been part of a private collection. Once donated, items cannot be returned.
The museum embarked on a full inventory ‐ all boxes, racks, store cupboards searched. A temporary number is given if none is found, and logged onto the computer base. It has taken 5/6 years and is near to completion. Each item is given a unique number, name, brief description, location and picture. This helps with searching for an object with a query, also helping with other queries and school groups, bringing Thurrock heritage to life.
There are 15,000 objects recorded on data bases (boxes of flints etc counted as one item) with only 5% on display. Archaeology, photographs, books and maps comprise the largest part of the collection, with areas mostly represented by Tilbury, Orsett and Grays. Analysis of periods of history showed Roman is very well represented. Most of the collection is early 20th century. Using fixed standardised terminology gives a good picture of museum objects ‐ how they are reported and if there are any gaps. Objects must be returned to their box after being used for displays.
Long term goals: Accreditation (policies etc), rationalisation and disposal ‐ start collecting again. The museum is not accepting donations at present as they are full to capacity. The museum is looking to grow and become more relevant to our audience. Michelle would like the community to become involved, teachers, TLHS etc. and hopes to bring Thurrock communities together with a common goal, understanding, caring for and celebrating Thurrock heritage.
There is a project bid: NLHF Routes 2 Roots; they help new people to be integrated into the area. It is hoped to keep some temporary staff permanently. Michelle is really on her own and needs more help.
This was a detailed update from her previous talk on the museum, giving us hope for the future.
Thurrock Local History Society; 15 November 2024: Dr Peter Ross: The Curious History of Christmas Foods
At our November meeting Dr Peter Ross entertained us with illustrations and quirky facts with a talk entitled 'The Curious History of Christmas Foods'. He spoke of high status foods and started with an 1836 Christmas cookery book, one of many he showed us. In medieval times there were periods of feasting and fasting, driven by the Catholic religion, feasting being important, including Christmas.
Great birds were cooked including peacock and swan. The swan would be skinned and roasted, with the skin put back on, often on top of a pie. Goose was also popular, but you had to be wealthy to afford it. A centre piece was a boar's head, the most popular dish being brawn, even in Jane Austin's time. In the 16th century decoration was added, such as rosemary dipped in silver etc or meringue, looking like snow.
Robert May's book in 1660 included a list of several courses, served like a buffet. From the 17th century meat and poultry were more prominent. Samuel Pepys ate mutton and chicken, also beef and mince pies. Most people used to like beef. By 1793 rabbit was the meal for labourers etc.
The Yorkshire Christmas pie was a bird within a bird, put in a pie, Queen Victoria enjoying a giant one. She also had a baron of beef roasted at Windsor Castle. The poor bought beef from a market. The very poor had nowhere to cook meat and took it to the local baker. It was unclear how they recognised 'their' beef when it was cooked! London butchers up to the mid-20th century still hung meat outside, sometimes decorated with holly.
Turkey had come from the New World in 1535 and 30 years' later it was already part of Christmas. They were raised within a year and replaced swan, etc. Turkey cost more than a week's wages in the 1740s, reducing to less than a week in 1860 (equivalent of £400 today) and now just two hours. Up to 60% of families serve turkey at Christmas now, many raised in East Anglia.
Mince pies are the longest continuous Christmas food, originally containing minced meat. Cromwell tried unsuccessfully to ban Christmas ‐ fast, not feast! There were various shapes and designs on lids. About the turn of the 19th century meat was dropped from mince pies, still containing dried fruits and spices.
Plum pottage was also popular, forerunner of Christmas pudding - the English have always loved puddings. Up to the early 17th century it was put in the stomach of an animal, before pudding cloths were used. In the 19th century moulds came about. They were sent out to South Africa in the Boer War ‐ there was even an Empire Christmas Pudding recipe.
Twelfth Night Cake was also cooked. Sometimes a bean was hidden inside, the winner being king for a year. It was very rich and iced, bakers displaying one in their window. Later. porcelain characters replaced the bean, such as a king, knave, even down to a slut! Later marzipan was added. There was also a yule dough or doll. In the 18th century a 'baby' was made out of bread dough; a man made it and his wife would find it in the morning ‐ Peter Ross said his father still made them.
Peter's talk showed how traditional Christmas fare has changed over time, some of us remembering a silver sixpence hidden in the pudding our mothers used to make.
Thurrock Local History Society meeting: 17th January 2025: John Matthews: Dainty and Fair,, but was she Virtuous?
Our January lecture saw the return of our webmaster John Matthews who gave us a well-researched and detailed talk on the life of Martha Penyston, curiously entitled 'Dainty and fair, but was she virtuous?' She was baptised in 1594, daughter of Sir Thomas Temple and married Sir Thomas Penyston at Stowe, Buckinghamshire in 1611. Her mother Hester keept a written record of the time and date of her birth. She was described as fair and well featured according to a subsequent annotation of her baptismal entry,
The Stowe church was effectively a private place for the family and servants. One of the Temple family is said to have disliked the parish church, which spoiled the view, so planted trees all around it to hide it from the house. The gardens are now run by the National Trust.
In 1590 Mary Somer had married Thomas Penyston at St Bride's, Fleet Street, and they lived in Rochester, raising four children. When Thomas died Mary was left a very rich woman. Mary needed another husband to protecyt her interests ‐ Sir Alexander Temple came on the scene and they married in 1602. They lived in the house of Sir Thomas Penyston, inherited by his son, also Thomas. Sir Alexander needed to match her dowry ‐ the Manor of Bartons, which his father had bought for him, close to his brother at Stowe. After Mary's death in 1607, Sir Thomas bought a property in Chadwell and swapped it with his brother who came to live in Chadwell place, which still exists. Sir Alexander Temple bought a wardship of his step-son and influenced his marriage to Martha, with Sir Thomas Temple paying for Thomas Peniston's baronetcy as part of the marriage settlement.
Martha's husband was one of the retinue of Richard Sackville, 3rd Earl of Dorset, a gambler, wastrel and womaniser, married to Lady Anne Clifford, a rich young lady, who continued to keep hold of her money. Martha and Thomas lived in Tottenham ‐ now Bruce Castle, Haringey, a museum. Lady Anne kept a diary, naming Lady Penyston as a frequent visitor, and wrote that her Lord was condemmed for his relationship with Martha. Martha consulted Richard Napier, astrologer and medicine man. She had consulted him after her marriage re her health. In 1619, Dorset visited Martha, for the last time, at her mother's lodgings in the Strand. Martha was taken ill in January 1620 and died of smallpox at Stow on the 14th, aged 25.
There is a memorial to Martha in the Penyston chapel at Stowe. The inscription on the east side describes her as a virtuous lady, daughter of Sir Thomas Temple. However, the west side included the words, removed to heaven, so to draw up her lover's eyes to the divine beauty of that Deitie wherein she may love all that love her and not sinne.
It is unknown who put it there, maybe her father who was a hard line Puritan. At the end of this intriguing talk John asked for a show of hands as to whether she was virtuous or not, and the ayes had it by far.
Thurrock Local History Society; 21st February 2025: Hidden Gem: Susan Yates
At our February meeting our Chairman Susan Yates gave us an interesting and well-illustrated talk on North Ockendon parish. She was asked to help in the research of the village by a local group called ‘Hidden Gem' ‐ hence the name of her talk. Up to 1935 it was part of Thurrock, now part of Havering. It is the only village in Greater London outside the M25, like a time capsule.
Of Saxon origins, belonging to Wokka it was in the gift of Westminster Abbey in 1075. The village is a ‘U' shape and tracing the pilgrims' narrow footpath to Canterbury, they probably had to pass through North Ockendon. Most people lived in one street. The first Lord of the Manor was William de Chamberlain in 1086. William de Baudwan lived in Baldwins, a 16th century timber-framed moated house of two storeys.
The church, dedicated to St Mary Magdalene, is grade I listed, maybe built on the same footprint as the 1075 chapel. St Cedd was in the area about 630AD, and in 1170 a church was built. The nave is Early English with a 17th crown post roof; it was enlarged several times, lastly in1858. Inside is the Poyntz chapel ‐ Lords of the Manor ‐ dedicated by John Poyntz in 1547. Thomas Poyntz (Lord of the Manor 1558-62) risked his life to be a friend of William Tyndale who illegally translated the bible into English so that peasants could understand it, and also painted murals on the wall. Later William Tyndale was betrayed but Thomas stuck by him. He was sentenced to be burnt at the stake, commuted to strangling before burning in 1536. There is a tester above the Poyntz memorial showing the moon and stars, erected by Gabriel Poyntz. The stained glass window was damaged in WW2 and remade using the same glass.
The Last Supper is depicted below the window, dedicated to the Russell family in 1879. William, son of Robert Russell purchased Stubbers in 1689. He lent money to King Charles; this was not repaid but he was given a knighthood. His grandson John married Mary Branfill, both being buried on the same day in 1779. Their son Champion adopted the Russell name in order to inherit - the estate was eventually sold to the Essex County Council.
William Coys of Stubbers died in 1627. He was a botanist, collecting native plants and seeds. His first garden predates the earliest botanical garden in Oxford of 1621. There is a plaque dedicated to him on the church wall. Stubbers was 3-storied, rebuilt in the 18th century. It was demolished in 1960 but the 'crinkle crankle' wall and fishponds survive.
The rectory is still near the church, built after 1750. There is a grave to Geraldine Batt, known as “our lady” to London thieves, who died in 1931aged 81 years. Probate was granted to Champion Branfill Russell. There is a memorial to the Russell family in the churchyard. There are several interesting headstones there, the oldest being one for Mathias Fox showing a skull and crossbones.
St Cedd's Well has natural spring water, part of the old moat of North Ockendon Hall. Pilgrims were baptised there on the way to Canterbury. It was repaired in 2012.
The Reading Room was built in 1885 for farm workers, bought from the Beynon estate in 1964, originally for £2000, negotiated down to 6d on the rates. The school, built in 1842 by James Beynon for 80 children, was damaged in WW1 and closed in 1980.
In 1988 there was a move to return North Ockendon to Thurrock, but this was vigorously opposed, such headlines in the Gazette reading “Tenants on Edge of War”, saying horrors awaited them if moved!
Thurrock Local History Society; 21st March 2025: Dr Twigs Way: Exploring Traditional Wildflower Names
At our March meeting we welcomed the return of Dr Twigs Way, this time talking about traditional wildflower names. Some are quite vulgar, copying body parts, their invention nonsensical and fabulous. Basically their names followed what they looked like, smelled like, the time of flowering and where.
Wildflowers have many different names, so many different ways of use, even from Saxon times. In the 19th century amateur botanists were scorned by academics, using scientific names. Some traditional names have been lost, replaced by Latin ones. In the early 20th century there was a revision of folk lore, when people tried to return to old names such as nosebleed, starchwort, lords and ladies (cuckoo pint) and jack in the pulpit. Others were nipplewort, or sticky willy. Coltsfoot was used in brewing, then there was field balm and hurt sickle.
Herb Robert had red stalks. Other names were stinking bob and death come quickly (American). Also cranes bill, storks bill or doves' feet. Horsefoot was used for colds and coughs, an alternative to tobacco.
Animals and birds were well represented: cow parsley (fed to cows and sheep), hogweed or cow mumble, hawkweed (devil's paintbrush), foxtail and goats' beard. Foxes and fairies were often confused, hence foxgloves or Our Lady's gloves. Bears' garlic is a mystery, there being no bears in the region. Many plants had dog in their name, several more with rose: dog violet, dog mercury (not poisonous).
There were those named after people, i.e. bob, Jack, William including jack by the hedge, ragged robin, bouncing Bet (soapwort). Others were named for when they flower - May bells, cuckoo flower or lady's smock. Those showing where they grow include cornflower, corn poppy, corn cockle, corn rose, water crowfoot, frogge bit, cart track plantain, bread and cheese.
Medicinal names and worts, also used for cooking, were flea wort and sneeze wort, showing what life was like in mediaeval times! Also master wort (ground elder), bishopweed (gout weed). The Doctrine of Signatures cover plants that look like parts of the body they cured, i.e. walnuts (like brains) for headaches, lungwort, pilewort. Worts were not always useful ‐ i.e. stinking hellebore. There was also sneeze wort for toothache, feverfew (bachelors buttons) ‐ anti-inflammatory or for melancholy - comfrey (knitbone) and stachys, said to cure 47 different diseases.
Banes were poisonous: fleabane, henbane, hogsbane, wolfsbane. There were also fun names ‐ ladies' tresses, love in idleness, Venus's basin (where it was said you could see the face of your future husband), heartsease, love in idleness (no reward), jackanapes on horseback (oxlips), shepherd's purse, pigs pettitoes (egg and bacon plant) and piss-a-bed (dandelion). Fruits were also represented: medlar ‐ open arse ‐ synonym for an elderly prostitute!
Some common names were very specific, most varying widely from area to area, bearing no relevance to today. This was a hilarious lecture, with illustrations to match, Twigs Way entertaining us in her usual fashion.
Thurrock Local History Society; 25th April 2025: Scott Sullivan: Tilbury Riverside Station.
After the AGM at our April meeting we welcomed Scott Sullivan, a founder member of the Tilbury on Thames Trust. Since 2015 they have been working on the restoration of the Tilbury Riverside Station and have now received approximately £4.4million grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund for this remarkable building. He looked back over ten years when time, ingredients and people were needed to keep the flame going ‐ like a recipe.
In the past people and goods have come and gone over the centuries. The Chapman & Andree map of 1777 shows there was a crossing point to Kent in 1300. Tilbury was important for national defence and a blockhouse was built in 1539. After the Spanish Armada in 1588 this was reinforced with earthworks for protection. Work was completed by Charles II in 1665, the railway coming in 1852 with Tilbury Fort Station combining river with railway. In the 1880s the port was used for movement of goods and trade and is still expanding, part of the Port of London Authority since 1909. Staging was erected for soldiers embarking in WW1. In 1920 flood defences were built. The landing stage was erected in 1922. The 1920s saw the construction of new platforms, opened in 1930.
Next to the docks is the Riverside Station, with a ticket office in the middle. In the 1930s cruise ships arrived, passengers staying at the Tilbury Hotel (lost in WW2). It is the only port in London for cruise liners. In WW2 it was the marshalling area for troops, followed by £10 POMS to Australia and the Empire Windrush bringing immigrants 1948-1971. By the mid-20th century aircraft was taking over and the cruise terminal closed in 1990, reopening in 1995. Today the cruise traffic has increased.
Since 2015 a new roof has been installed (2017). At present the Trust works in securing funding. Their vision is to ensure and celebrate the Grade II* listed Tilbury Cruise Terminal, drawing on history and forging history of the future. Many people have stories connecting with the riverside. Scott reminded us that it is a legacy that the late Jonathan Catton would be proud of.
The idea is that the small units rented out will be creative lets, where artists, craft workers, potters etc. will work, display and sell their goods. Various events have been held, including in 2018 the anniversary of the Windrush, when Les Morgan (Tilbury Riverside Project) aired his effigy, which has helped to raise the profile of the terminal. Also in 2018 a training support programme was created for veterans. An extended carnival event was staged in 2022, getting schools involved, starting an arts programme and employing some staff. There were more events in 2023 ‐ Christmas, car shows etc.
There has been amazing hard work to secure the grant. Vision for the future means more capital and activity, with improved access, a café, toilets, quiet rooms and the ticket office as an exhibition space. They are looking to attract creative businesses etc., like a mini village. The Trust is working with The National Archives and it is hoped by 2026 that the building should be open, ready for even more events, with facilities to learn new skills. A business model needs a team of people to run things. It is hoped to have a landmark, maybe an iconic sculpture, and make flood defence more inviting, with a nod to railway heritage. Scott showed us several illustrations of the future, keeping the interior open as much as possible for a farmers' market etc.
Solar panels help the environment and on the landing stage there will be interpretation boards. There will be training, a workshop with local schools volunteering. The programme will be expanded beyond 2028 and the Trust is looking for community researchers. This is a slow development, no shortcuts, bringing Thurrock's landmark back to life.
This was a lecture filled with information and illustrations, showing what can be achieved with determination from a dedicated team.
Thurrock Local History Society; 16th May 2025: Dr Emma Cannell: A dip into the history of sea bathing in Southend
At our May meeting we welcomed back Dr Emma Cannell, who works with Essex Gardens Trust, to learn how sea bathing was popularised at Southend.
In the 17th and 18th centuries people used water therapies; the sea was regarded as dangerous, Neptune requiring appeasement, sacrifices being made to him. There was a fear of the sea - mediaeval monsters and legends like the Kracken. Also the coast was the entry place for invaders and plague was brought by sea. By the end of the 18th century attitudes had changed. Oceans were deemed far safer, with larger ships. It was the Age of Enlightenment when natural history was studied, encouraging the collection of fossils etc. Crowded urban living caused health problems and cold water bathing was promoted. It was the age of spas such as Bath, said to cure gout etc. Sea bathing was also recommended, promoted firstly at Scarborough in the late 17th century.
Bathing machines were invented in the mid-17th century, when there was horse racing on the beach and drinking seawater was promoted. By the mid-18th century diseases were said to be cured by the sea, washing away all the evils of mankind. George III was recommended sea bathing at Weymouth. The band in next bathing machine to his played God Save the King when he entered the water!
Southend started as group of fishing huts at the south end of Prittlewell. In 1768 a journal described development ‐ a convenient place for bathing with 35 acres to build houses, library, shops etc. attracting visitors. But the benefits were not accepted by all and the building for therapy was not built, due to the economic downturn, and the estate was sold.
In 1793 the Grand Hotel opened. 1801 Princess Charlotte stayed in the town when she was a girl. Her mother the Princess of Wales had visited in 1894, their visits being a huge bonus to the resort. Lady Hamilton also visited, maybe Nelson too.
There are links with Jane Austen and Emma. Southend was a popular destination for naval families; the sea air considered an appetite stimulant. The circulating library was used by women who met friends there, maybe some retail therapy as well. A theatre opened in 1806 with a summer season, maybe the inspiration for Sanditon. The Globe newspaper published lists of visitors to town, promoting a respectable seaside resort.
Originally bathers were naked, bathing machines offering some privacy. In 1750 they had a canvas awning, protecting their modesty. A 'dipper' held customers and then dipped them if they couldn't swim. Between 6am-9pm bathing was prohibited unless in a bathing machine, owners of which had to have a licence. In the Victorian period hired swimming costumes became popular and the machines were no longer needed. Granville wrote brochures, showing where to stay etc.
Thomas Ingam also promoted bathing for health. In 1869 he constructed a floating iron bath, operating regardless of the tide. Entrance was 6d, with costume extra. The licence cost increased considerably and it was sold to the Absolom family. In WW1 the bath was towed to Chalkwell beach, destroyed after the war.
Southend was served by stagecoach, also by paddle steamers. Rowing boats took passengers off and some offered piggy backs to the shore. In 1828 there was a meeting at the Royal Hotel to discuss the construction of a pier, 600ft long, opened in the 1830s. In 1873 the wooden pier was considered unsafe, a new iron one being built in 1899 at a cost of £70,000, paid for by subscription, shares and tolls. There were horse-drawn carriages to take day trippers to the end. It has been extended several times and is now the longest pier in Europe at 1.3 miles.
This was a nostalgic trip to Southend, Emma showing how development came about, resulting in the resort we see today.